I've been searching for a good & easy vegan bacon recipe. I like the recipe in Jo Stepaniak's cookbook Vegan Vittles, but I think this is more true to flavor for a BLT. The other has a maple flavor which some may prefer. This is from a British web site: Vegout.Info -- the vegetarian guide to restaurants and eating. http://www.vegout.info/index.html
1 lb firm tofu, cut into strips shaped like bacon
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 tablespoon oil, something neutral, not olive oil
1. Fry tofu strips on low heat until they are crispy on the outside. The best way to do this is to lay them in the pan in the oil and let them sit for at least 10 minutes, simmering. They should turn easily after that.
2. Turn them and give them another 10 minutes on the other side.
3. Mix the soy sauce with the liquid smoke first, then take the pan off the heat.
4. Pour the liquid smoke/soy sauce into the pan and stir the tofu so all sides are coated.
5. Sprinkle the yeast over all, stir some more, over the heat, until the liquid is gone and the tofu is covered with sticky yeast.
3 weeks ago